Due to the continued closure of airspace to the MAX aircraft, we have adjusted our winter schedule to remove the MAX from service from March 5 through April 4, 2020.
As we have previously done, we are proactively removing the aircraft to offer our guests booking reliability and the ability to plan in advance. While we do not have timing for the return of the MAX to our fleet, this latest schedule update reduces last minute flight cancellations and disruptions to your travel plans – especially during the busy March break season.
For our guests who have booked their travel during this time period and who are affected by these changes, we are proactively notifying you of your rebooked travel options to offer you choice and flexibility in advance of your travel dates.
This latest update, the ninth MAX schedule update since March 13, 2019 removes around 18 out of 700 daily flights or less than three per cent of our previous schedule. We are proud to be completing more than 97 per cent of our planned departures even with the challenges we are experiencing with our MAX fleet.
The following routes have been adjusted. Any route suspensions are temporary, and WestJet remains committed to resuming these flights once our MAX fleet returns to service:
- Calgary-Vancouver; limited select flight reductions on Saturdays and Sundays. WestJet continues to operate up to 13 daily flights between these two markets.
- Edmonton-Vancouver; two weekly flight reductions. WestJet will continue to operate between seven and eight daily flights.
- Calgary-Winnipeg; minor flight reductions the between March 22 and April 4, 2020.
- Calgary-Halifax; two weekly flight reductions. WestJet will continue to operate eight weekly flights.
- Toronto-Halifax; two weekly flight reductions. WestJet will operate between four and five flights daily each weekday.
- Edmonton-Winnipeg; six weekly flight reductions. WestJet will continue to operate one daily flight. Swoop airlines also operates three weekly flights on this route.
- Toronto-Edmonton; One daily flight reduction. WestJet will operate between five and six daily flights each weekday.
- Toronto-Winnipeg; six weekly flight reductions. WestJet will operate four flights daily each weekday.
- Toronto-Kelowna; five weekly flight reductions. WestJet will operate two weekly flights.
- Calgary-Ottawa; one weekly flight reduction. WestJet will operate two daily flights every business day.
- Calgary-Toronto; one weekly flight reduction on Saturdays. WestJet will operate nine to 10 daily flights each weekday.
- Toronto-Vancouver; one daily flight reduced. WestJet will operate six to seven daily flights each weekday.
- Toronto-LaGuardia (New York); WestJet has limited select flight reductions on weekend flights only.
- Edmonton-Phoenix; one to two weekly flight reductions. WestJet will operate 10 weekly flights. Wednesday flight times have been updated to 9 a.m. departure/ 11:25 a.m. arrival
- Calgary-Maui; All MAX-operated flights will be conducted on the WestJet Dreamliner between March 8 through March 11. After March 11, as planned, all flights will continue to be flown on the Dreamliner. No schedule changes.
- Calgary-Honolulu; three weekly flights reduced. Guests will be reaccommodated through Vancouver.
- Edmonton-Maui; two weekly flights reduced. Guests will be reaccommodated through Vancouver or Calgary.
- Edmonton-Honolulu; one weekly flight reduced. Guests will be reaccommodated through Vancouver.
- WestJet has added 18 flights between Vancouver, Honolulu and Maui to accommodate all Alberta/Hawaii flight reductions.
- Calgary-Hamilton; time changed from daytime to evening departure from Calgary and early morning departure from Hamilton.
- Calgary-London, Ont.; time changed from daytime to evening departure from Calgary and early morning departure from London.
- Calgary-Palm Springs; timing update on select days for WS1467. New flight number is WS1477 or WS1479 and 8 p.m. departure from Palm Springs.
We thank all our guests, airport partners and crews for their understanding and patience since the Canadian skies were closed to the MAX on March 13, 2019.