It’s New Year’s Eve and as the ball gets closer to dropping, WestJetters across the country are already celebrating a huge milestone as 20 million guests passed through the doors of our growing fleet in 2015. The twenty millionth guest in a single year marks a historic moment for WestJet with guest numbers having increased from 18.5 million in 2013 and 19.7 million in 2014.
But milestone numbers aren’t the only reasons we are celebrating. As we head into our 20th year, let’s reflect back on some amazing moments from 2015:
- WestJet’s first (four) 767s. Our first to arrive was Juliet, named for the last letter of her registration. She’s spent her initial months with us getting ready for her inaugural overseas trip to London, Gatwick starting May, 2016.
- Howdy, Houston, Texas! And Gander, Newfoundland, Glasgow, U.K. and Loreto, Mexico. We touched down for the first time in some marvellous spots.
- Where in the world will 2016 take us? Some remarkable new destinations are in store for our 20th year; London, Gatwick, Boston, Massachusetts, West Palm Beach and Sarasota, Florida, Huatulco and Merida, Mexico and San Jose, Costa Rica.
- Two is the greatest number. WestJet Encore, our regional airline, turned two, and now has 25 Bombardier Q400 NextGen aircraft in its growing fleet.
- We’re number one! WestJet Connect was added to more than 25 per cent of our Boeing fleet and we became the first Canadian airline to offer gate-to-gate access to entertainment as well as Internet connectivity on board. Parents and social media lovers everywhere rejoiced.
- Mini Miracles abound: nearly 32,000 to be exact. WestJetters across the network hit the pavement to perform acts of kindness and inspired the world to do the same.
- So plaid to meet you! WestJet introduced our own, official tartan representing our brand, our colours and the strength of our people, network of destinations and guests. 2016 is looking teal-ly great!
As the year draws to a close, WestJetters are thankful for the opportunities we had to make memories for 20 million incredible guests. Happy New Year and we can’t wait to see you on board again in 2016!