Electronic Travel Authorization (eTA) required to enter Canada

We would like to make you aware of a new entry requirement recently introduced by the Government of Canada, known as an Electronic Travel Authorization (eTA). Please note, if you are a foreign traveller who used to travel to Canada without a visa, you now have to apply online for an eTA prior to travelling to Canada by air. Exceptions include U.S. citizens and any travellers who currently hold a valid visa.

The application process is affordable, doesn’t take long to complete, and in most cases the eTA will be granted within minutes of applying. To apply and learn more, visit Canada.ca/eTA.

We understand that you probably want to know more about eTA, so we’ve put together some frequently asked questions for you, and here they are:

1. What is an Electronic Travel Authorization (eTA)?

Quite simply, eTA is an entry requirement for any visa-exempt foreign national travelling to or transiting through Canada by air. This will allow the Government of Canada to pre-screen travellers before they board their flight to Canada. U.S. citizens do not need an eTA, but U.S. lawful permanent residents (Green Card holders) do.

2. What is the deadline to obtain an eTA?

As of September 30, 2016, you are required to have an eTA. If you do not have it, you must apply for one to travel to or transit through Canada. The application process only takes a few minutes and costs just $7 CAD. Please note; during the leniency period (now until September 29, 2016), you can still travel to or transit through Canada, but you must have the proper travel documents to do so.

3. I have a NEXUS or CANPASS and I’m a permanent resident of the United States. Do I still need an eTA to fly to Canada?

Yes, if you plan to travel or transit through Canada you must have an eTA. An eTA is valid for up to five (5) years or until the passport expires, whichever comes first. If you’re entering Canada by land or sea, you do not need an eTA. We strongly encourage you to always carry your valid Green Card to show your status as a lawful permanent resident of the U.S.

4. Do I need an eTA if I am a dual citizen of the U.S. and another country?

Please ensure you always have your valid United States passport with you whenever you travel. If you do, then you can enter Canada without an eTA.

5. Is it possible for a business or an agency organizing charter trips to apply for eTA on behalf of their clients?

Yes. However, group applications are not an option. You must apply for one person at a time. This also means that you must pay for each eTA application separately.

6. How do I apply for eTA?

Applying for an eTA is a simple process. All you need is a valid passport, email address and credit card (Visa, MasterCard, American Express, or a pre-paid Visa, MasterCard or American Express). The cost is just $7 CAD to obtain an eTA, and the good thing, it only takes a few minutes to apply. Approved eTAs are valid for up to five years or until your passport expires, whichever comes first.

7. How long does the application process take?

The application process only takes a matter of minutes to complete. It’s that simple.

8. Can I still travel to Canada during the leniency period if my eTA application was refused?

According to the Government of Canada: if your application was refused, you should not plan or undertake any travel to Canada, even during the leniency period. If you decide to travel to Canada with a refused eTA during the leniency period, you may experience delays or be prevented from entering the country. We encourage you to reapply for an eTA only once you have addressed the reason(s) leading to the refusal of your application.

9. I am a travel professional. What can I do on behalf of my clients or what should I let them know before they book travel?

You may apply for an eTA on behalf of your client. When you start the eTA application form, you will be asked “Are you a representative or a parent/guardian applying on behalf of an eTA applicant?” Answer yes to this question. In the application, be sure to enter your client’s email address in the Contact Details section so the Government of Canada can communicate directly with them, if necessary.

If your client is applying on their own, please advise each client that they should apply for an eTA before they book any flight(s) to Canada.

For an extended list of questions and information, please visit the Government of Canada eTA frequently asked questions page.