It’s been nearly two months since we experienced the most catastrophic flooding in Alberta’s history. Within hours of the heavy rainfall and raging waters, Albertans demonstrated and continue to demonstrate an inspiring spirit of generosity, community, strength, resilience and resolve. Much has been accomplished since the flood waters receded, yet there is still so much more to do.
With this in mind, we are so very pleased to support tomorrow’s Alberta Flood Aid concert at McMahon Stadium in Calgary. WestJet is flying participating musicians, their bands and crews to Calgary. By donating these flights, we are helping to ensure that all ticket proceeds from the concert go directly to The Calgary Foundation’s Flood Rebuilding Fund in support of long-term community rebuilding efforts in Calgary, High River, Canmore and nearby First Nation reserves.
We are also assisting with social media fundraising efforts.
WestJet will use our social media team and the power of more than 650,000 WestJet Facebook fans and Twitter followers to post content and photos of pre-concert events, activities and the Alberta Flood Aid concert that runs from 6 to 10 p.m. MT on Thursday August 15, 2013.
In the meantime, I encourage you to donate $10 to The Calgary Foundations’ Flood Rebuilding Fund by texting ABFLOOD to 20222. You can also donate any other amount by visiting the Calgary Foundation’s Flood Rebuilding Fund website.
In addition to supporting Alberta Flood Aid, other ways WestJet has assisted with relief and recovery efforts to date also includes:
- 600 one-way flights donated to the Canadian Red Cross for disaster response volunteers and employees, with an additional 96 one-way flights given to Canada Task Force 1 and 2 to bring search and rescue members to Calgary
- $25,000 corporate donation to the Canadian Red Cross with an additional $55,300 donated by WestJetters
- WestJet Cargo flew 18,000 pounds of supplies to Calgary from the Canadian Red Cross in Toronto and relief agencies in Kelowna
- WestJet Cargo assisted the Calgary Zoo with the relocation of 29 animals whose living quarters were ruined during the flood
- Partnered with the Calgary Stampede to promote their Hell or High Water campaign by purchasing 1,000 T-shirts that were worn by YYC airport WestJetters and flight crews on Friday, July 5
- Ongoing donations of gift of flight vouchers to support fundraising efforts
- Sponsored the Halo High Water and Alberta Flood Aid benefit concerts
If you’re in Calgary, we look forward to seeing you with your boots on at tomorrow’s Alberta Flood Aid concert.
The WestJet Fun ‘n Festivals team will be on-site at the free Boots On! Stage pre-show between 2:30 p.m. and 6:00 p.m. Come see us there for a chance to win five per cent, 10 per cent, 30 percent or 100 per cent off the base fare of your next WestJet flight.
If you live outside Calgary, tune into the TELUS YouTube channel, where the concert will be streamed live.
We have our #BootsOn and we hope you do too!